Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Risk to Foster Children

A mother and her foster children were exposed to potential carbon monoxide poisoning, after 'shoddy' building work on their home.  Back in 2010 a company chosen by the local Council did a loft conversion to accommodate the foster children, which included moving the boiler into the new loft space and replacing the gas fire flue.

Gas work was ‘immediately dangerous’

Afterwards the family complained that the boiler was leaking and not working properly.  A Gas Safe inspection found that the boiler was incorrectly fitted and that the gas fire flue was capped wrongly, allowing poisonous carbon monoxide gas into the loft.  The work was so bad it was classified as 'immediately dangerous'.

‘Could have cost a family with young children their lives’

The HSE investigation found that Newport City Council had told the mother to use the building company without checking the quality of their work.   So the Council was fined £20,000 for a health and safety breach which could have caused carbon monoxide poisoning.  The HSE Inspector speaking after the hearing said,

‘The shoddy and careless work by the contractors could have cost a family with young children their lives.’

Head Injury UK: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Claim Experts

When anyone has work done on a gas appliance, they trust that it is done to a safe standard.  Fortunately the foster family did not suffer any serious injury or worse, however not everyone is so lucky.  At Head Injury UK our carbon monoxide posioning solicitors are experienced in helping victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.  So if you have suffered injury or lost a loved one through carbon monoxide poisoning, contact Andy Shaw to see how we can help you.

 

What our clients say

We know that we have been extremely fortunate to have had such a consummate PI lawyer in Andy acting on our behalf but we have also been blessed by having had his support, trust, friendship and loyalty throughout. We cannot ever thank him enough.

The compensation Nicola has received has helped her move from a tiny council flat into a massive bungalow which has been specifically adapted. It has enabled her to have a better life.

If it was not for the help of my solicitor I don't know where I would have been today. He provided a great deal of emotional support and secured compensation at various stages from the insurance company to fund my treatment and allow me to live. He was there from start to finish.

Higgs & Sons acted for us for 5 years until our daughters claim for personal injuries was finally settled. Ian remains a trustee of our daughters trust fund and we now look upon him as a friend.